Before you write your press release, be sure to define who your audience is. Who are you targeting your message to? Make sure you call out to those people by defining them in your headline, sub-headings, and/or first paragraph.
Other tips include the many of the same good writing habits you should be using for other kinds of writing. Common sense things like:
- Keep your message simple
- Make sure you include all your correct contact info
- Use eye-catching headlines
- Use sub-headings to further draw people in to reading your message
- Always write with the readers’ interests in mind
- Always include a clear call to action, where you take them by the hand and walk them through the steps you want them to take
As for that last tip on the call to action, we’ll stop right here. Joan feels that part of writing a good press release is so important that we will devote a full post to it, in our next post continuing on everything you need to know to write a great press release.