I read a post over at Yaro Starak’s Blog Traffic School blog about defining your target audience and blog purpose that is worth the read.
He suggests making a list of what you want your blog to do:
- Earn $1000 a month from AdSense
- Earn $500 a month from affiliate income selling products X, Y and Z
- Get up to 1000 daily readers
- Attract an audience in their 20-30s with middle range incomes who purchase products online
- Use blog to build an email list of 2000 people by the end of 2006
- Write at least 1000 articles of 1000 words each to compile into an ebook on the niche topic
I think some professionals give up on their blogs too soon, expecting instant results of high traffic and sales. Certainly being clear about what you want your blog to do will help you see the little steps along the way that are required to get results.
Originally I started this blog to write down everything I know about creating ezines for people doing coaching or consulting. Over the last two years, I have realized that it has expanded to include writing great copy for blogs, web pages, press releases and sales copy.
This helps me to keep my eye peeled for items on these topics to share with you.
How clear are you about what you want your blog to do? Or for that matter, what about clarity for your ezine or newsletter?