Clayton Makepeace, arguably the most successful freelance copywriter on the planet, suggests asking these 7 questions about the headline you’ve just written:
1. Does your headline touch a nerve?
2. Does it make a unique claim or statement?
3. Does it provoke curiosity?
4. Is it credible?
5. It is specific?
6. Does it have a news element?
7. Does it offer a compelling benefit for reading?
Source: Clayton Makepeace teleconference, 12/20/06.
A headline can be for a sales letter, a blog post, or an email message.
Recipe for an Ezine: Email Subject Lines