To review, here are the 4 steps to writing persuasive copy in the form of an advertorial so that you can be educating at the same time as promoting your business:
All of these steps are written with the reader in mind, what’s in it for them, explaining problems from their point of view. You connect with readers by showing you know how they must feel frustrated or even angry when dealing with this issue. Now it’s time to introduce step 5: describe your specific solution.
You can list the features of your product or services. One way to do this is to use the ‘feature…so that…benefit’ phrase like this: "Our program offers you an inexpensive way to access learning materials so that you keep more of your hard earned money."
Or, "our private membership site allows you to learn on your time at your convenience, so that you don’t have to spend days away from home and work at an expensive workshop."
Keep in mind, that solutions that save people time and money are very appealing. People don’t really care about the features of your widget, your ebook, your program. You do, but they are still looking for what’s in it for them. So spell it out for them.
I’m continuing to use our Blog Squad Mentor Program as an example of how I apply these principles to real copy:
Advertorial Step 5: Describe Your Solution
Time, Energy Money
That’s when Denise and I decided to do our own mentor program, based on a small monthly fee and open access to tons of our materials. Here’s what you learn for only $29.95 a month in our Blogging and Beyond Mentor program:
1. Ecommerce (Kick Start Cart) system– how to set it up so it automates your marketing for you with autoresponders, newsletters, and impeccable sales so that you save time and money
2. List management – how to keep your lists segmented by your client’s interests so that you don’t have to worry about readers unsubscribing because you’ve promoted the wrong item to them – saving you time and money
3. Sales automation – how to have an impeccable sales process so that prospects don’t abandon the Cart at the time of purchase or registration – and how you can up-sell them to double your revenues – saving you time and money
4. Copywriting skills – how to use educational and relational marketing techniques when you write content designed to persuade your readers to buy or register – so that you increase your results
5. Content System – how to write articles, press releases, ebooks, mini e-courses, how to repackage your content for multiples purposes so that you save time, energy and money
6. Audio tools – how to set up a teleseminar, podcast or radio show, post your audio files on the web, and harness the power of Web 2.0 so that your visitors get to know and trust you
7. Blogs, blogs, blogs – how to set one up to get results for your business. We’ll teach you how to use this powerful client magnet to your advantage so that your save time, energy and money
Oh dear, I keep repeating myself: save time, energy and money. Not to beat a dead horse, but couldn’t we all use some extra time, energy and money when it comes to running our businesses?
That’s what we’ve designed the Blogging and Beyond program for: we’ll teach you the essentials of online marketing, help you avoid common (and costly) mistakes, streamline your marketing efforts, and save you time, energy and money.