It used to be that writing content was the way to inform people, establish your expertise, and seed the search engines with keywords. The more content on your website or blog, the more keywords, the better your chances of being found by the people who need you and your services or products.
All that’s changed. Now you can easily publish in video and audio, giving visitors a more complete view of who you are, what you know, and whether or not they would want to do business with you.
Here’s a list of all the tools you can use to get found online:
• Ezine (electronic newsletter)
• blogs, blog posts
• website, landing pages
• press releases
• info products: e-courses, ebooks, special reports
• Joint ventures
• White papers
• audio products
The more ways you have of connecting with visitors to your site the better. If you’re reading this blog, you’re an online reader, however, it is surprising how many people prefer other ways to get their information.
Here are some stats, not recent, and which may be even sadder in 2007:
• 58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.
• 42% of college graduates never read another book.
• 80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.
• 70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
• 57% of new books are not read to completion.
• Most readers do not get past page 18 in a book they have purchased.
Which makes it even smarter to think about putting audio and video content on your sites. In the online world, where it’s all about the client, you should think about delivering your message the way they want it.
I’m not a big fan of listening to podcasts or audio files on my iPod – I like to use it for music while working out. But just because I’m that way, doesn’t mean potential clients don’t prefer to listen to an interview rather than read an article.
I know Denise likes to listen to audio interviews on the treadmill, so how many other people are that way too? The thing to realize is that your potential clients might not be like you at all. So providing a variety of messages in different media is the way to go.