Seems it's the new buzz word among Internet marketers. But if you're like me, an independent professional who does her own marketing, and who doesn't use paid advertising, you're no stranger to Content Marketing. You've already been doing it.
Anytime you write content on the Web (or elsewhere) you present yourself, your personality, and your knowledge so that readers get to know you. They like you (you hope!), they begin to trust you, and they eventually become clients or customers, or at least regular readers.
Or not. It's not always easy to write quality content that works to actually bring in business.
Although it seems self-evident, it's not. Why not?
- If you write to educate and entertain, people may love you for it, but so what? They read, say "hmmm!", then click away, and it's bye-bye. Gone. Where's the money in that?
- If you write to persuade people to hire you or buy from you, then you risk turning them off with sleazy sales copywriting techniques. You may make a few sales, but readers won't subscribe and they won't come back.
Real content marketing lies somewhere between these two extremes.
To make things a little trickier, every business, and every niche is a little different.
- What works for you in your business?
- What kinds of content work to attract and stay in touch with readers, build your KLT factor (Know, Like & Trust), and makes sales?
These aren't rhetorical questions. I'm actually asking you to reply to this post in the comments section.
What are you using in the way of content to attract ideal clients, build a list of potential customers, and grow your business?
Do you use a newsletter? Blog? Contests? Surveys, give-aways, teleseminars, social media like Facebook and Twitter?
- What does Content Marketing mean to you in your business?
- How are you doing it now?
- How does it work, and how isn't it working like it should?
Just hit the comment button and tell us what you're doing with your "Content Marketing" and what results you're getting. What works for you? What doesn't work and you're not doing anymore?