By now you may have given up on setting New Year's resolutions… too many disappointed attempts at losing weight, or working out, or making big bucks… Broken promises to yourself can turn you off to goal setting, that's for sure.
Enough talk about woulda, coulda, shoulda, who cares? Don't worry, be happy! That's my advice.
And yet I can't help but take a peek at what worked last year, what didn't work, and make plans to more of the former and less of the latter. As it turns out, I had an excellent year, both financially, and in finding passionate fun in my work.
It's too easy to get caught up in work that pays the bills. I'm not saying you should only do what's fun…If you're not paying attention to where the passion lies, however, you may be on a fast track to mediocrity, boredom, and burnout.
In my opinion, we get bored when we have to do repetitive non-creative tasks that don't challenge us to think. But we can also get bored when we disengage from tasks because we don't like them, they're too hard, we aren't good at them… or we aren't seeing good results.
This is dangerous because if you're just blogging because you need to stick to a schedule, then you aren't blogging with a passionate message to deliver. You won't get good results. How could you?
As we plunge into January, ask yourself:
- Which part of your work brings you the most energy, passion and drive?
- Which part of your work drains you of energy and joy?
- What can be automated?
- What can be outsourced?
- What can you learn so that it's fun AND gets great results?
Find solutions by either learning to do that part better, or avoid it by outsourcing or handing it off to someone better suited.
I say this because I'm someone who was a complete techno-clutz not that long ago. Now my husband, who's president of a computer hardware company (Razer), asks me stuff. (Of course, I still ask him about the equipment, so it evens out.)
I got smart by investing in learning about online marketing, online systems (KickStartCart, AudioAcrobat), by reading tons of books (Amazon, Kindle) and blogs, and by hiring good techno help. (Thanks, Garland!)
You can do the same thing for your business. Here are my tips for making 2010 your best year yet:
- Learn to attract the best clients (through smart blogging & social media)
- Learn better blog writing processes (through teleseminars and Content Marketing with Blogs ebook)
- Learn how to sell to your audience with Content Marketing (through quality writing & persuasion)
- Learn how to automate your systems so you save time and energy (through KickStartCart et al.)
- Learn how to keep more of the money you make: learn to profit!
I'm offering one teleseminar a month to help you learn to simplify, automate, and get better results from your Content Marketing strategies, so that you can attract, sell and profit online.
Won't you join me for January's teleseminar, hosted by Joan Stewart, aka The Publicity Hound? Click, read and register here: http://snipurl.com/smartblogging.
January 20, 2010
4 p.m. ET