How do you speed up your blogging? Here are some ways I solved the blog writing problem this morning. Since I started a blog series yesterday, 6 tips for faster blogging, I already had step 1 figured out: Pick a problem.
How can I write 3 tips about this 1st step of blog writing?
(Sometimes this may take far too long, because of inner demons…. As reader M. Scott Schaffernoth commented, "Great tips for making what can be a daunting task much more approachable, especially for those who hate/fear writing.")
Sometimes what you face yourself as you write about your expertise can reveal an interesting perspective on a problem, and your readers may experience similar pain. Write about it. In this case, if your readers' pain is writing, then you've got great fodder.
6:00 a.m. Other times, you may not be sure what to say, so you'll need to do some quick research. Here's where to go, but be careful not to get lost and waste time.
- iStockPhoto.com: Look for an inspirational photo. Search under key words, but be imaginative. For this post on fast blogging, I found an image under speed skating.
- Previous posts: Use your categories to find other posts you've written, or use a search tool like Lijit.com
- Think about client emails and phone calls. What's their big complaint?
- What's the problem behind the complaint? If they say they don't have time to "fill-in-blank", is it because they really don't want to or fear doing it?
Once you've identified a clear pain point, write down 3 things about it, your choice:
- How does this problem affect them? Their work, their happiness, their pocket books?
- What are 3 tips to solve the problem?
- Why hasn't this problem been solved before? What stops them, gets in the way?
You don't have to write 3 things about each of these 3 points, just take them one at a time, save them for other posts.
Start your post with a question, list the points you want to make and elaborate a little on each. Ask another question before you conclude. Ask readers to comment or share. Or, ask them to take action.
For example, if you have problems getting your blog to bring in great results as a content marketing tool, maybe you need to learn a few time-saving tips about smart blogging.
Joan Stewart, aka The Publicity Hound, and I are giving a blogging teleseminar next week. You can learn more, and sign up here:
January 20, 2010 – Wednesday
4 p.m. ET
6:14 a.m. Added links and image, end of post. Total time 28 minutes.
Tomorrow I'm writing about how to do this even faster, and showing you how to create in-depth, quality blog posts at the same time. If you want to be sure not to miss any posts, sign up for email updates in the subscription form at the top of the page.