What are the three biggest challenges to marketing your business? I know, I know, there are so many, but if you could distill them into the most crucial for online content marketing, how would you do it?
(I’m always asking you, because some of my readers are very smart and think of things I don’t. So please feel free to add to this by leaving a comment…)
To me, it’s these three that count more than anything:
- How do I get found by the people who need my solutions?
- How do I get them to know me, like me, and trust me to do business with?
- How do I get clients? Convert readers to buyers?
Get found, get known, get clients… there’s a lot that goes into creating content on the Web that leads to results, and each marketing task, each piece of content, each program you offer, falls into one of these categories or challenges.
I did a survey on this in April, 2010: Readers say that getting traffic, building a list, and converting readers to clients are their biggest challenges. It’s still a matter of findability, creating trust and getting people to take action.
Get found: What does this mean?
You’ve got to be easily found when an ideal client sits down to the screen and looks for solutions to their problem:
- Multiple places on the Web where you’ve published content with keywords relevant to your audience’s needs
- Search Engine Optimized content on blogs, web pages, articles, social media profiles
Get known: How do you do that?
You’ve got to be easily identified as the go-to resource with solutions to specific problems. Quality content builds trust and connections with readers.
- Your content on your web pages and blogs must be clear, focused, yet personable
- Be friendly, conversational, build relationships with readers
- Educate, entertain, engage, enrich the lives of your readers in any way you can
- Your look and feel, your branding, your page design and formatting create trust
Get clients: How do you convert readers to clients? If the first two challenges are working well, it’s easier to ask and get your readers to click to read an offer, whether for fee or free.
- Landing pages
- Email marketing messages
- Calls to action, invitations to enroll, download, etc.
All of your content creating tasks should bring results so that you get found, you get known and trusted, and you get new clients to work with.
What’s your biggest challenge?
(P.S. I explore more about this in my free online e-book Content Marketing for Online Profits.)