Let’s face it – Business blogging can get repetitive. It seems as if there are only so many blog topics out there for your readers, and you’ve exhausted them all. We know the key to a successful business blog is fresh content, which brings more reader who might be potential new clients.
But what exactly does “fresh” content entail? New topics or a different perspective on a problem, or an innovative tip – these are all good. Swapping guest blog posts with another business also infuses new life into a blog. Sometimes hiring a new writer can help bring new ideas, views, and topics to a blog.
Covering new topics is one of the best ways to get new readership as well as appeal to your current audience.
Here are some ideas for new blog content for the New Year:
- Guest bloggers – having a guest blogger can breathe new life into your blog. Guest bloggers offer a fresh perspective and new topics. Consider asking a guest blogger to contribute a whole series of posts rather than just one.
- Cover current events – instead of just focusing on what is going on with your business specifically, scour the web for business news articles that are related to your area of expertise. You can put a personal spin on the story as well as offer tips or advice that are related.
- Make your own news – consider covering events related to your industry by going to them in person. Not only will you learn things for yourself, it’s a great way to create content and buzz about your industry.
- Go multi-media – a blog doesn’t have to be just a block of words on a web page. Consider adding specialized images or video content to your posts. As a blog writer and business owner, appearing on camera can make you appear more personable to your readers.
- Tell your company story – this could even work as a series for your blog. Tell the story of how your company came to be. You can go so many different ways with this one. You can start right when you started the business, or go as far back as how when you were a kid you dreamed of being (fill in the blank). A series will keep your readers coming back to see the next installment.
Keeping your business blog fresh and relevant doesn’t have to be a difficult or daunting task. A great way to think of new topics to cover and avoid the infamous writer’s block is to browse other blogs.
Check out all different types of blogs, not just those that are related to your particular industry. A good resource is Alltop.com, where top blogs are organized by subjects. You will be surprised how different types of content can be morphed into a perfect post for a completely different audience.
For example, a business blog could even take cues from a successful parenting or cooking blog. While you might not necessarily want to post exactly the same way that they do, you can glean some interesting ideas by just browsing.
Don’t hesitate to mix up your content. Readers are more likely to keep coming back if they know that they will always see something different on your blog. Just make sure your posts are still quality content that you’re proud of. There’s little that is worse than feeling like you are reading the same blog over and over!
Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. ChamberofCommerce.com offers free online listings to help drive online leads. Megan also specializes on the topic of marketing.
Patsi’s note: If you want to learn more about writing content for your business blog, be sure to download the free ebook Content Marketing with Blogs.