Let’s be honest – in the realm of successful business blogs yours is probably mediocre. Not bad, but more likely “just okay.” Hey, at least you’ve got a blog and are doing most things right. But mediocre is a long way from spectacular.
Here’s what I mean by “successful business blog.” To me, in my world of professionals who use the Internet to get found, get known and get clients, a successful business blog is one that works for what it was set up to do. That may differ according to the business goals of the blogger, but it should include goals like:
- Attracts readers in a targeted niche
- Grabs their interests in a particular topic or problem
- Provides interesting perspectives, solutions, and knowledge
- Entertains in some way, through variety and utility
- Consistently provides relevant value
- Offers interactive options such as downloadable information, comments, etc.
How would you know if your business blog is successful?
- Through a growing number of readers
- Growing numbers of comments
- Increasing links from others who cite your posts
- An increase in the number of people who write or call you to inquire about products or services
- Increasing opportunities to expand business or marketing
- Better results on search pages
- Occasional awards such as “Top 10 Health Care” Blogs, or “Top 50 Leadership Blogs”
The top blogs in any field are usually listed on the Web, and a Google or other search will help you find them. But few business people do this. They don’t research, they don’t learn from what others are doing.
In the past several years I’ve had calls from three people faced with similar business blog dilemmas. They hired me, we worked together for several months. And they went on their ways. Now, all three are on “Top Blogs” lists, and are doing well. Here are a few examples from my clients:
- Mary Jo Asmus, Aspire-cs.com, #30 on ReadytoManage.com list of Top 50 Leadership blogs
- John Agno, CoachingTip: The Leadership Blog, #44 on ReadytoManage.com list of Top 50 Leadership blogs, #24 on Invesp.com Top 50 list
- Dr. Charles Parker, CorePsych blog, #1 Health Care blog for AHDH, according to ShareCare.com
If they can do this, so can you. Of course, these are smart people, but I’ll bet you’re probably smart in your own field. What often separates the successful professionals from the “also rans,” is perseverance and effort.
I know, for example, I get many calls from professionals who want a successful award-winning blog. I can teach them how, I can even provide services and content to help get them there. Yet very few want to spend money to get help to solve their business blogging problems. Some want to do it themselves and some want to do it “my way.” While that worked for Frank Sinatra, it may not work for business blogging.
The three clients I’ve mentioned here have all had the courage to step up and ask for help. They said “NO!” to mediocrity. They studied hard, they worked hard, they didn’t give up when the blogging got tough. And it paid off.
Ask yourself: “Am I willing to say “no” to mediocrity?”
Are you prepared to learn how to do business blogging right, so that you too get found, get known and get clients? Where do you want to be in 2-3 years with your blog and your business? Just okay?
Heck no. If something’s worth doing, and blogging definitely is, it’s worth taking the time and energy (and investing some money) to do it right – so you get the results you want. Call me. 858-224-5886. Let’s see how we can take you from ‘okay’ to a Top Ten list.