Some people have clear ideas of what they want to say. They may even have an outline. Some have already published books themselves (“Never again!” some say). But most don’t have an outline, a story, a message, or a clue.
But they’re right about one thing: If you’re an expert, you should publish an ebook. It will help you get found, get known, and get clients.
I thought I’d put my best steps for writing an expert ebook into a blog post here, and create an ebook later. If I were to write an ebook about how to write an expert ebook … how would I do that? What would I say?
First, remember that writing an ebook is not the same thing as publishing one. Two separate activities…
- Each are important and each need a lot of time and expertise
- Not everyone should write their own book
- Not everyone should publish and market their own book
- Decide which you want to do and outsource the stuff you’re not good at doing
If you want to write a book, start asking yourself some hard questions:
- What do you want to say?
- Do you have a message?
- A story?
- Information, inspiration, entertainment – what’s compelling? Unique?
- For whom are you going to write your book?
- What do you want the book to accomplish?
- By when? (how much time, energy, money do you want to spend?)
- What are your expectations? What will you gain by writing/publishing this book?
- What will happen if you don’t do it? How much is it costing you (money, people, work, clients, reputation, etc.) to not do it?
Next, start writing content:
- Write down 3 – 5 of your most compelling stories, ideas, nuggets, experiences, messages you want to include
- What’s your point?
- What’s your conclusion, what you want readers to do, think, believe, act on…?
- Write an outline to include the above points in a sequential order
At this point you can continue writing or start looking for a ghost writer. Ask yourself, is it worth my time to learn how to do this and actually write the sentences, or hire a writer who already knows how to string together sentences, paragraphs, chapters from preface to conclusion, to notes, etc.?
Next post: How to write the expert ebook outline.