The main goal of writing a blog, whether for business or otherwise, is to get people to read what you write. Seems pretty simple. But attracting readers to a new blog (or even an established one) is easier said than done.
So how do you build a readership base and continuously gain new readers to keep your blog and your business going. Here are a few ways to make your business blog one to watch.
1. Keep up with current events – while you shouldn’t always write about what’s going on in the world, using relevant examples and anecdotes lets your readers know that you are knowledgeable.
2. Pay attention to your social media networks – what are people talking about on your social media pages? What are they asking you as a business? Consider using these questions and discussions for blog topics. You’re more likely to engage your customers by writing on topics they clearly are interested in than developing your own.
3. Target your customers – knowing who you are marketing to will help your business blog. You’ll want to take the time to identify your target market and write about topics that are relevant to these groups. You can also identify how you can help your target market and offer tips and tricks related to what they are interested in.
4. Use an interesting, eye catching format – while you want your writing to be the primary reason that people keep coming back to your blog, having a format that is engaging but not overwhelming is important. Keep your ad space tasteful and to a minimum. Also make sure that your posts are separated well; there are few things more annoying than blog posts that bleed together.
5. Track your blog’s performance – you’ll need to watch your analytics in order to see what is performing well on your blog. If you track page views, you’ll see what people are coming to your blog to read. Once you’ve identified a topic that seems to resonate with your readers, you can further explore that topic. Writing about an issue from several angles can keep your readers interested.
There is no doubt that writing a successful, interesting blog can be a tough job. Being on top of your game is essential if you want to use your business blog in order to gain customers and attention for your business. Check out this infographic of 50 small business blogs to watch. Visiting their sites might serve to inspire you!
About our Guest Author: Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. She specializes on the topic of small business tips and resources. ChamberofCommerce.com helps small businesses grow their business on the web and facilitates connectivity between local businesses and more than 7,000 Chambers of Commerce worldwide.